This presentation by Thomas Griffiths, Planner at DigitasLBi is great for all brand strategists. I particularly like the idea and heart of his talk that brands should give the control back to the people in the conversations we have with them. He describes the development of tight, closed communities. the brand becomes shattered in these diverse groups and that’s okay. Let the consumer work it out for themselves.
Extensive presentation by Jan Smiedgen about design thinking
Rory Sutherland talks about using psychological solutions to reframe problems at TEDxAthens.
A well told message from Scott Berkun about how the creative process works. Listen to yourself, independent of others. Keep Going, do it anyway. Because “Making Stuff” is all about sit there and do the work. That’s the challenge. Loved this, made me get back to work with my own ideas about design thinking and strategy.
Oreo ad ‘Whisper Fights’ shown during super bowl 2013. And the story continues online with great faux storytelling. For decades, consumers have been separating Oreo cookies from their cream… And then you get this.
- Be useful. The real value of a planner is problem solving and coming up with simple solutions. Cleverness is simply a means to an end.
- Bring out the best in other people. Act as a catalyst for others by providing the conditions for informed creative thought.
- Be a linchpin, not only between people but also between brands and the audience they connect with.
- Have a deep understanding of human motivations and instincts.
- Have an experience of real life. Get out of the office to experience the real world and understand the people you want to experience.
- Create a working timetable both within and outside the office to best generate ideas and insights.
- Whether analogue or digital, the main task of any planner is understanding basic human communication.
It isn’t the consumers job, to know what they want. My article about innovation and researching the needs of the consumers for trend magazine Second Sight, Spring 2011. Article Paula-Buit_SecondSight